This study is a randomized, placebo-controlled 6-month study designed as an adequate and well-controlled trial to demonstrate the safety and efficacy of Dimebon in the treatment of patients with mild-to-moderate AD. Dimebon is an investigational drug for Alzheimer's disease. The target of Dimebon's mechanism of action are the mitochondria (a cell's primary source of energy).The Connection Study is the second of two pivotal studies evaluating the effect of Dimebon. It is a 6-month study enrolling 525 patients in the United States, Europe, and South America. All patients completing the 6-month study will be eligible to receive Dimebon in an open-label extension trial.
The patient population will be carefully selected to ensure inclusion of patients with AD, rather than other types of dementia. Mild-to-moderate disease will be defined by the screening MMSE. Patients will attend study visits with caregivers who will provide information about the patient's condition.
Dimebon in Patients With Mild-To-Moderate Alzheimer's Disease
Follow the link above for the complete information on this clinical trial including available locations.
More information and news about Dimebon:
Phase 3 Clinical Trial of Dimebon in Alzheimer’s Disease (The CONNECTION Study)
We are enrolling patients in the CONNECTION study, a second pivotal Phase 3 trial of Dimebon in patients with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer’s disease. Study highlights:
* International, double-blind, placebo-controlled safety and efficacy study
* Designed to confirm the positive findings of the first pivotal 12-month safety and efficacy study of Dimebon, which showed statistically significant improvements over placebo in memory, thinking, activities of daily living, behavior, and overall function
* Enrolling 525 patients at sites in the United States, Europe and South America
* Patients aged 50 and older with a clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease, who are not taking any other Alzheimer’s prescription medicines, may be eligible to participate
* Two-thirds of patients will receive Dimebon and one-third will receive placebo
* After six months of treatment, all patients—including those receiving placebo—will be given the opportunity to receive Dimebon until marketing authorization
Read More about Alzheimer's
Five Ways to Keep Alzheimer's Away
A Simple Three Minute Test Can Detect the Earliest Stage of Alzheimer's disease
High cholesterol levels in your 40s raises Alzheimer's risk