Thanks to each and everyone of you that took the time to comment on this website, on my Facebook Wall, and who sent me personal emails regarding the untimely death of our wonderful personal care physicians--Doctor Carlos Chiriboga.
Your kind words give me comfort, and importantly help empower me to move forward.
I already started the search for a new personal care physician. Unlike, last time, I actually know what I am doing this time.. Many of you know it took me 14 months, and 4 physicians to get it right last time around. I am now realizing how little I knew at the time.
I now realize, I was asking the wrong questions and looking in the wrong places.
Here are the dumbest questions I asked last time around.
- Do you have patients in your practice that suffer from dementia?
- Are you familiar with the treatments for Alzheimer's and dementia?
- Can you give my mother the kind of care and treatment she is going to need?
I don't have all my questions ready for this time around, but I will by Wednesday when we interview--that is right interview--our first personal care physician.
Here are some of the things I intend to ask.
- Where did you go to medical school?
- How much time did you spend in medical school studying Alzheimer's and dementia?
- Since medical school did you have follow-up training, or have you attended any seminars where you leaned more about Alzheimer's.
- If I walked in here today and told you I suspected my mother was suffering from Alzheimer's what would you do?
- Would you consider giving a person in the early stage of Alzheimer's a combination of Aricept and Namenda?
Sometime soon I am also going to tell you how I found the new candidates. You might be surprised to learn how I did it.
Popular articles on the Alzheimer's Reading Room
- Alzheimer's Wandering Why it Happens and What to Do
- Does the Combination of Aricept and Namenda Help Slow the Rate of Decline in Alzheimer's Patients
- 10 Good Reasons to Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room Now
- Test Your Memory (TYM) for Alzheimer's or Dementia in Five Minutes
- World Health Care Spending and Performance Ranking by Country (Table)
- What is Dementia?
- Five Ways to Keep Alzheimer's Away
- Dimebon Connection Study
- Are Alzheimer's Caregivers the Forgotten?
- A Simple Three Minute Test Can Detect the Earliest Stage of Alzheimer's Disease
- Is it Really Alzheimer's or Something Else?
- Wii a Useful Tool for Alzheimer's Caregivers
- 2009 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures
- The Mini-Cog Test for Alzheimer's and Dementia
- The Alzheimer's Reading Room--Press Release
- Walmart and this Alzheimer's Caregiver
Alzheimer's Reading Room and an Alzheimer's caregiver. The blog contains more than 2,255 articles with more than 272,100 links on the Internet. Bob resides in Delray Beach, FL.
The Alzheimer's Action Plan
The Art of Dementia Care
Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room