It looks like both the prosecution and the defense are ready to roll out the big guns in this trial. This leaves me wondering why this court case is not getting more national attention?
For the prosecution we have Dr. Peter Rabins.
When it comes to Alzheimer's disease they don't get any bigger than Dr. Rabins--Johns Hopkins University, Alzheimer's specialist, co-director of the school's division of geriatric, and neuropsychiatry
The word feces is big in this trial. The facts in evidence show that not only was Elly Lorey covered in feces, the walls in her room were covered with feces, and she was eating feces. The smell was so bad Kirsten (the daughter) and Toby Fenn covered the air conditioning vents with pizza boxes to mask the odor.
Quotes from Dr. Peter Rabins--
The doctor testified that scheduling regular trips to the bathroom and giving a laxative each night may have well solved the problem of Lorey defecating just anywhere. He summed it up this way--"She could well have responded to those two simple measures," Rabins said.
The Fenns told police they kept Elly Lorey locked in her room for her own safety, and that they never sought medical advice.Coming up for the defense-- Dr. Michael Baden of HBO's Autopsy show, and a medical examiner.
Dr. Rabins? "I don't think I've heard of a case where a family had not brought them to somebody to get help," ... "Of the thousands of people that I've cared for, I know I've never come across a case...of this severe abuse or neglect."
My mother says, Oh Boy, about 50 times a day. OH BOY.
To read--Did a Boca Raton Couple Murder Elly Lorey Who Suffered from Alzheimer's Disease?--go here.
To read--Quotes from the Elly Lorey Alzheimer's Murder Trial (Follow Up)--go here
Popular articles on the Alzheimer's Reading Room
- Alzheimer's Wandering Why it Happens and What to Do
- Does the Combination of Aricept and Namenda Help Slow the Rate of Decline in Alzheimer's Patients
- 10 Good Reasons to Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room Now
- Test Your Memory (TYM) for Alzheimer's or Dementia in Five Minutes
- World Health Care Spending and Performance Ranking by Country (Table)
- What is Dementia?
- Five Ways to Keep Alzheimer's Away
- Dimebon Connection Study
- Are Alzheimer's Caregivers the Forgotten?
- A Simple Three Minute Test Can Detect the Earliest Stage of Alzheimer's Disease
- Is it Really Alzheimer's or Something Else?
- Wii a Useful Tool for Alzheimer's Caregivers
- 2009 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures
- The Mini-Cog Test for Alzheimer's and Dementia
- The Alzheimer's Reading Room--Press Release
- Walmart and this Alzheimer's Caregiver
Bob DeMarco is the editor of the Alzheimer's Reading Room and an Alzheimer's caregiver. The Alzheimer's Reading Room is the number one website on the Internet for news, advice, and insight into Alzheimer's disease. Bob has written more than 800 articles with more than 18,000 links on the Internet. Bob resides in Delray Beach, FL.Original content Bob DeMarco, Alzheimer's Reading Room