Kirsten and Toby Fenn are accused of murdering Elly Lorey, an 89 year old woman who suffered from Alzheimer's disease. Kirsten Feen is Elly Lorey's daughter.
Earlier in the trial, Dr. Michael Bell, Palm Beach County's medical examiner, testified that Elly Lorey died of starvation and dehydration and that her death was a homicide.
Dr. Baden testified that:
- there's no evidence of physical abuse,
- that styrofoam found in her intestines is not evidence of neglect,
- and that, there is no evidence from a medical examiner point of view that anything would indicate somebody caused her death.
Elly Lorey spent her last days in a state of extreme mental decay, living in a locked, unventilated room where she smeared excrement on the walls and existed on a diet of honey buns and Ramen noodles, according to police reports. When she died, Lorey had withered to 80 pounds. Despite the signs of advanced Alzheimer's disease, she had received no medical care.Earlier in the trial Sargent John Nolan, the officer on the scene testified that,
"As we entered the bedroom, my senses were shocked... the smell of urine and feces...no carpet on the floor. It appeared to once have been wallpapered but most of it, nearly all had been removed. There were gouge marks in the drywall, brown smudges everywhere."And described Elly Lorey's bedroom in this way,
bare concrete floors, no toilet seat, feces everywhere, and feces-streaked gouge marks into the drywall all around the locked door. There were no sheets on the bed, just a towel.Noted authority on Alzheimer's, Dr. Peter Rabins testified that,
"I don't think I've heard of a case where a family had not brought them to somebody to get help."
And, "Of the thousands of people that I've cared for, I know I've never come across a case...of this severe abuse or neglect."The murder trail continues.....
To read more about the Elly Lorey Alzheimer's trial follow these links.
Did a Boca Raton Couple Murder Elly Lorey Who Suffered from Alzheimer's Disease?--go here.
Quotes from the Elly Lorey Alzheimer's Murder Trial (Follow Up)--go here.
The Elley Lorey Trial -- Quotes of the Day -- Dr. Peter Rabins go here.
Popular articles on the Alzheimer's Reading Room
- Alzheimer's Wandering Why it Happens and What to Do
- Does the Combination of Aricept and Namenda Help Slow the Rate of Decline in Alzheimer's Patients
- 10 Good Reasons to Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room Now
- Test Your Memory (TYM) for Alzheimer's or Dementia in Five Minutes
- World Health Care Spending and Performance Ranking by Country (Table)
- What is Dementia?
- Five Ways to Keep Alzheimer's Away
- Dimebon Connection Study
- Are Alzheimer's Caregivers the Forgotten?
- A Simple Three Minute Test Can Detect the Earliest Stage of Alzheimer's Disease
- Is it Really Alzheimer's or Something Else?
- Wii a Useful Tool for Alzheimer's Caregivers
- 2009 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures
- The Mini-Cog Test for Alzheimer's and Dementia
- The Alzheimer's Reading Room--Press Release
- Walmart and this Alzheimer's Caregiver
Bob DeMarco is the editor of the Alzheimer's Reading Room and an Alzheimer's caregiver. The Alzheimer's Reading Room is the number one website on the Internet for news, advice, and insight into Alzheimer's disease. Bob has written more than 800 articles with more than 18,000 links on the Internet. Bob resides in Delray Beach, FL.Original content Bob DeMarco, Alzheimer's Reading Room