After all, doesn’t it makes more sense to skip the awareness effort and just focus all resources on a cure?Dennis Fortier
As we enter into National Alzheimer’s Awareness Month, you may wonder why we should bother promoting awareness. Those who have been touched by Alzheimer’s are already aware and those who have not been touched can’t really help -- so what’s the point? After all, doesn’t it makes more sense to skip the awareness effort and just focus all resources on a cure?
As it turns out, lack of awareness and education are major contributors to the burgeoning Alzheimer’s problem. While the benefits of awareness may not be obvious, they are very real.
For example, do you know what you can do today to reduce your risk of getting Alzheimer’s later in life? If not, your lack of awareness is fueling the ongoing problem.
Do you know how we can immediately improve the efficacy of those drugs currently approved for Alzheimer’s? Sadly, most patients and many physicians do not.
How clear is your grasp of the relationship between a healthy heart and a healthy brain? For many of us, investing a few minutes to improve our understanding of that relationship could yield long-lasting health benefits.
The answers to these questions along with four other important perspectives are summarized in a short article on the Brain Today blog. The full article can be read in about five minutes and, with a couple of additional clicks, can be forwarded to your online networks.
In the spirit of National Alzheimer’s Awareness Month, please visit the Brain Today blog and read the article and then encourage your social networks to do the same. In this way, you will become a part of the solution, doing your part to thwart Alzheimer’s through the simple act of awareness.
To continue reading go here.
Dennis Fortier is President of Medical Care Corporation and Editor of the Brain Today blog. Brain Today is a non-commercial publication devoted to interpreting the daily news about brain health and distilling the true value of that news.
Popular articles on the Alzheimer's Reading Room
- Dementia and the Eight Types of Dementia
- H1N1 Flu Virus Everything You Need to Know
- Does the Combination of Aricept and Namenda Help Slow the Rate of Decline in Alzheimer's Patients
- Test Your Memory (TYM) for Alzheimer's or Dementia in Five Minutes
- Dimebon Connection Study
- The Metamorphosis of This Alzheimer's Caregiver (Part One)
- The Mini-Cog Test for Alzheimer's and Dementia
- Worried about Alzheimer's? Five Ways to Protect Yourself
- Is it Really Alzheimer's or Something Else?
- Alzheimer's Wandering Why it Happens and What to Do
- 50 Good Reasons to Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room Now
- World Health Care Spending and Performance Ranking by Country (Table)
- Walmart and this Alzheimer's Caregiver
- Are Alzheimer's Caregivers the Forgotten?
- A Simple Three Minute Test Can Detect the Earliest Stage of Alzheimer's Disease
- Wii a Useful Tool for Alzheimer's Caregivers
- 2009 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures
Original content the Alzheimer's Reading Room