Bye Bye Birdie....
By Kathy Hatfield
Dad and I watched the Meryl Streep film, Julie and Julia which is about a contemporary girl in Queens, NY who writes a blog about Cooking every recipe in the Julia Child cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
Since Dad has alzheimer’s, It's hard to find a movie that Dad and I can both enjoy, so this was a great mix of 1920s Paris and today's modern movie.
Well, I became inspired to cook a chicken. I know how silly that sounds when you can buy a $4.99 rotisserie chicken at any grocery store, but I know how much my Dad loves chicken and wanted to make a real one, from scratch.
So I baked and basted until the most beautiful golden bird emerged from my oven. I felt a little Julia Child-ish myself.
I set the table, got Dad seated with a nice glass of tea and went back to the kitchen to carve the perfectly rested masterpiece.
As I rounded the corner, I caught sight of our beloved dog, Claire with my chicken in her mouth!
In seconds, my chicken was gone, in twenty delicious pieces on the carpet of my living room.
So Dad and I had peanut butter sandwiches for dinner. He even commented a few times how delicious it was and how much he loved peanut butter and jelly.
Tip of the hat to Kathy Hatfield. Kathy sent me this story via email. To visit KnowItAlz -- go here.
Popular articles on the Alzheimer's Reading Room
- Worried About Alzheimer's Disease
- Dementia and the Eight Types of Dementia
- H1N1 Flu Virus Everything You Need to Know
- Does the Combination of Aricept and Namenda Help Slow the Rate of Decline in Alzheimer's Patients
- Test Your Memory (TYM) for Alzheimer's or Dementia in Five Minutes
- Dimebon Connection Study
- The Metamorphosis of This Alzheimer's Caregiver (Part One)
- The Mini-Cog Test for Alzheimer's and Dementia
- Worried about Alzheimer's? Five Ways to Protect Yourself
- Is it Really Alzheimer's or Something Else?
- Alzheimer's Wandering Why it Happens and What to Do
- 50 Good Reasons to Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room Now
- World Health Care Spending and Performance Ranking by Country (Table)
- Urinary Incontinence -- How We Beat Alzheimer's Incontinence
- Are Alzheimer's Caregivers the Forgotten?
- A Simple Three Minute Test Can Detect the Earliest Stage of Alzheimer's Disease
- Wii a Useful Tool for Alzheimer's Caregivers
- Previously On the Alzheimer's Reading Room (In Case You Missed It Edition)
Bob DeMarco is the editor of the Alzheimer's Reading Room and an Alzheimer's caregiver. The Alzheimer's Reading Room is the number one website on the Internet for news, advice, and insight into Alzheimer's disease. Bob has written more than 950 articles with more than 8,000 links on the Internet. Bob resides in Delray Beach, FL.
Original content Bob DeMarco, Alzheimer's Reading Room