Alzheimer's Reading Room
Various interpretations of an image of trees created by participants of the Memories...
It's been decades since Howard Saunders retired as a draftsman, but once a week for the past six years, the 88-year-old picks up a paintbrush and spends the afternoon creating images. It's a routine he rarely breaks-and one that has helped him better cope with the effects of Alzheimer's disease. On a recent Tuesday, Saunders carefully added the final spots and details to a cheetah painting.
Saunders is part of the Memories in the Making art program, aimed at using art to help those afflicted with Alzheimer's and dementia piece their memories back together. The Alzheimer's Association of Northern California has operated the program for more than a decade, and currently offer classes at 30 residential and adult day programs throughout the Bay Area, including Cupertino, Los Gatos and San Jose.
Organizers say the program often stimulates a memory that has sat dormant for years and helps participants regain their ability to communicate.
This is a very good article, to continue reading -- go here.
- Advice and Insight -- Alzheimer's Caregiving
- What is Alzheimer's Disease ?
- Conquering Urinary Incontinence
- Alzheimer's and the Dreaded Bowel Movement
- Dementia and the Eight Types of Dementia
- Does the Combination of Aricept and Namenda Help Slow the Rate of Decline in Alzheimer's Patients
- Communicating in Alzheimer's World
- Test Your Memory (TYM) for Alzheimer's or Dementia in Five Minutes
- Dr Oz Alzheimer's Memory Quiz (Test)
- Alzheimer's Clock Draw Test -- Detect the Signs of Alzheimer's Early
- Is it Really Alzheimer's or Something Else?
- 60 Good Reasons to Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room
The Alzheimer's Action Plan
300 Tips for Making Life Easier
Bob DeMarco is the editor of the Alzheimer's Reading Room and an Alzheimer's caregiver. Bob has written more than 1,300 articles with more than 9,000 links on the Internet. Bob resides in Delray Beach, FL.
Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room