Pfizer Medivation Dimebon working well for this patient......By Bob DeMarco
Alzheimer's Reading Room
I received this information via email from our reader, Peg. She wanted everyone to hear about her experience.
Bob, I am so sorry to hear about your Dimebon trial experience, in terms of it being terminated.
While I've been reading about some of the improvements in Dotty, I wondered if it were due to Dimebon, because I've seen so much improvement in my husband since he completed the Connection trial and went on the 20 mg 3x a day extension phase (since August '09).
They ARE continuing the extension phase, they told us last week, but they will stop gathering efficacy data, and only gather safety data. I don't understand that, but I am glad we continue to get the pill, and I hope there's some way you can, too.
My husband has improved both cognitively and behaviorally. His MMSE has been 25 over the past three years; it dropped to 22 when he was in the trial phase, when we think he was getting the 5mg dose, then went back to 25 in the extension.
Since starting the full dose,
- he remembers events past and future,
- he shows concern for others,
- he is more sociable,
- less sensitive to noise and crowds,
- can write his name again,
- make brief notes,
- can do several steps of a process-type task,
- and on and on.
He has lost that 'lost' look.
He is clearly BETTER, and many who know him well and see him regularly or who see him only occasionally have noticed the difference.
Mind you, he is not symptom-free, but he has greater quality of life and enjoyment.
We heard also that others in his clinical trial were doing even better than he has. I continue to be baffled.
Where are other patients who are doing well? How can we let Medivation (and Pfizer) know that we are observing good effects?
Again, it is such a shame that Dotty has been taken off Dimebon. And I look forward to your upcoming columns on it (more than usual!).
Pfizer (PFE) Medivation (MDVN)
More About the Alzheimer's Reading Room
- Test Your Self for Alzheimer's Dementia (5 Best Self Assessment Tests)
- Alzheimer's Disease Statistics
- What is Alzheimer's? What are the Eight Types of Dementia?
- Alzheimer's Dementia Caregiving -- Advice and Insight
- Does the Combination of Aricept and Namenda Help Slow the Rate of Decline in Alzheimer's Patients
- Communicating in Alzheimer's World
- Is it Really Alzheimer's or Something Else?
- 2010 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures
- 60 Good Reasons to Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room
Bob DeMarco is the editor of the Alzheimer's Reading Room and an Alzheimer's caregiver. Bob has written more than 1,400 articles with more than 9,000 links on the Internet. Bob resides in Delray Beach, FL.
The Alzheimer's Action Plan
300 Tips for Making Life Easier
Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room