The home says their ground-breaking techniques are putting them ahead of Government calls to reduce the use of anti-psychotic drugs....By Bob DeMarco
Alzheimer's Reading Room
About 20 years ago, I was walking down Columbus Avenue on the west side of Manhattan, late at night. As I was crossing the street, I noticed Paul Shaffer standing on the corner. Paul is the wild and crazy band leader on the David Letterman show.
He looked at me and I said, "you are the best". His response? "Dig it".
I just finished reading this article -- Care Home Pioneers Recreate 1950s Room to Jog Memories of Alzheimer's Patients -- and all I can say is,
A care home has dramatically improved the life of its Alzheimer's patients - by creating a 1950s 'time warp' room which reminds them of happier times.
The 'Reminiscence Room' features classic Bakelite furniture, a gramophone, wireless and a typewriter.
Carers say the sitting room helps to calm patients by transporting them back to 'the good old days', bringing fond memories flooding back.
Read this excerpt from the article carefully,
Claire Walters, the home's unit manager, said: 'Years ago if somebody was upset and distressed in the night, you'd give them a tablet but now we bring them into these rooms and we talk to them.Dig it! This is wonderful.
'We go over their life history and within an hour they're completely calm and happy.'
The home says their ground-breaking techniques are putting them ahead of Government calls to reduce the use of anti-psychotic drugs.
Go here to read the article and look at the pictures.
Judy Berry, if you are out there, maybe you could write an article about this and the Lakeview Ranch.
Fifties fashion: The reminiscence room features classic furniture, a gramophone, wireless and typewriter
Insight and Advice
- 60 Good Reasons to Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room
- About the Alzheimer's Reading Room
- Alzheimer's Disease and the Five Stages of Grief
- What’s the Difference Between Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia?
- Alzheimer's CareGiving -- Insight and Advice
- Test Your Memory for Alzheimer's (5 Best Self Assessment Tests)
- Communicating in Alzheimer's World
- Worried About Alzheimer's Disease -- You Should Be
- What is Alzheimer's? What are the Eight Types of Dementia?
- Does the Combination of Aricept and Namenda Help Slow the Rate of Decline in Alzheimer's Patients
- Alzheimer's Disease Statistics
- Is it Really Alzheimer's or Something Else?
- Ten Symptoms of Early Stage Alzheimer's
- Ten Tips for Communicating with an Alzheimer’s Patient
Bob DeMarco is the Founder of the Alzheimer's Reading Room and an Alzheimer's caregiver. Bob has written more than 2,011 articles with more than 200,000 links on the Internet. Bob resides in Delray Beach, FL.
The Alzheimer's Action Plan
300 Tips for Making Life Easier
Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room