Pat Summitt is Back, Vows to Fight Alzheimer's
"I don't think it's slowing me down," Summitt said. "It's revving me up."
"I expected everybody to ask me about it," she said. "It is what it is. We will move on."
Story plus Video
Glen Campbell: Alzheimer's? Is that what the doc said?
I'm still sharp as a tack.
Alzheimer's Reading Room
Pilot dementia care project sees Care UK nominated for top nursing award
Care UK’s ground-breaking training, which lets our carers ‘experience’ dementia, has been shortlisted for a national Nursing Times Award after the overwhelming success of a nine-month trial.
More than 500 staff from nine specialist dementia homes and a day centre in Surrey underwent the intensive experiential training - which includes limiting their mobility and their ability to see and hear - in order to illustrate how people with dementia experience life.
|Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room|
Alzheimer’s patients see lives fade away
"It's a sort of whispered-about issue," said Alan Fleming, communications director. He said early-onset Alzheimer's is often a "last resort" diagnosis for doctors, however. They try to check every avenue before settling on the terminal disease.
Climb Every Mountain, So I Do
“Please don’t let me strangle my mother,” I plead silently as I try for the umpteenth time to coax her hand into the sleeve of her sweater.
Unscripted: Paul Gates shares his story about Alzheimer's
"I have visited with physicians and neurologists and I've been diagnosed with Alzheimer's," he told the audience during a newscast.
Paul shared the difficult news with viewers who have watched him for years.
"It was devastating," said his wife, Michele.
Jury Gives Nursing Home Resident $1 Million
Irene Hendrix was in her late 80s and had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease when she was found badly injured in January 2009. She was taken to a hospital where doctors found broken facial bones and bleeding in Hendrix's brain
More Insight and Advice for Caregivers
- How Alzheimer's Destroys the Brain -- Video
- Test Your Memory for Alzheimer's (5 Best Self Assessment Tests)
- What is Alzheimer's Disease?
- What is Dementia?
- What’s the Difference Between Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
- Communicating in Alzheimer's World
- How the Loss of Memory Works in Alzheimer’s Disease, and How Understanding This Could Help You
- Learning How to Communicate with Someone Suffering From Alzheimer's Disease
- Alzheimer's World -- Trying to Reconnect with Someone Suffering from Alzheimer's Disease
- Does the Combination of Aricept and Namenda Help Slow the Rate of Decline in Alzheimer's Patients
- About the Alzheimer's Reading Room
Creating Moments of Joy: A Journal for Caregivers, Fourth Edition
The 36-Hour Day A Family Guide to Caring for People with Alzheimer Disease
Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room