I feel that in some way deep down Dotty did understand that I was merely the voice for all of you.
By Carole B. Larkin
Alzheimer's Reading Room
My vocation as a geriatric care manager has given me opportunity to be exposed to a number of people with dementia who are at the end of their lives.
I have tried to give Bob some benefit of my knowledge and experience in relation to the things that he and Dotty currently are experiencing.
|Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room|
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to speak briefly with Dotty.
Bob and I were consulting and he put me on speaker phone in Dotty's room. He said "Dotty, Carole Larkin is on the phone and wants to talk with you."
I heard Dotty speak but her words were too slurred to understand.
Amazingly, she tried again and said clear as a bell, and with a strong voice, "Hi Carole".
I said "Hi Dotty". I was getting ready to say, "we are all thinking and praying for you." but the Dotty said "water" and Bob went to get her some and gave it to her. The opportunity for more conversation had passed.
Yet, I feel that in some way deep down Dotty did understand that I was merely the voice for all of you. Your prayers, thoughts, cares and wishes for her (and Bob).
So I want you to know that in fact, you all have had this last opportunity to speak with her, to let her know that you love her. And I'm sure she heard you all.
is a Geriatric Care Manager who specializes in helping families with Alzheimer’s and related dementias issues. She also trains caregivers in home care companies, assisted livings, memory care communities, and nursing homes in dementia specific techniques for best care of dementia sufferers. ThirdAge Services LLC, is located in Dallas, TX.
More Insight and Advice from the Alzheimer's Reading Room
- What’s the Difference Between Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
- Something Had to Change
- Alzheimer's Caregivers are the Chosen
- What is Alzheimer's Disease?
- What is Dementia?
- Communicating in Alzheimer's World
- Alzheimer's and Learning How to Trust
- Learning How to Communicate with Someone Suffering From Alzheimer's Disease
- Alzheimer's World -- Trying to Reconnect with Someone Suffering from Alzheimer's Disease
- Rewiring My Brain and Stepping into Alzheimer's World
- Why I Invented Alzheimer's World and the Power of Positive Reinforcement
Original content Carole B. Larkin, the Alzheimer's Reading Room