Members hope to educate lawmakers about the need for health care reform changes that consider neurologists and the patients they treat, including people with Alzheimer's disease.....By Bob DeMarco
Alzheimer's Reading Room
The American Academy of Neurology (AAN) is hosting its 8th Annual Neurology on the Hill March 8–9, 2010. The event will bring more than 100 member neurologists from a record 40 states to Washington, DC, to meet with their representation in Congress.
The goal of Neurology on the Hill is simple: to inform key lawmakers on priority issues that affect neurologists and the patients they treat. Since its inception in 2003, over 400 AAN members have participated in Neurology on the Hill. Past events have led to remarkable successes such as the creation of the Epilepsy Centers for Excellence and the opportunity for AAN President-Elect Bruce Sigsbee, MD, FAAN, to testify before the House Energy and Commerce Health Subcommittee regarding health care quality and cost control. In 2010 the Academy's priorities will be health care reform and Medicare reimbursement.
Members hope to educate lawmakers about the need for health care reform changes that consider neurologists and the patients they treat, including people with Alzheimer's disease, stroke, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, migraine, concussion and autism.
The Academy supports legislation to stop the cut to Medicare physician reimbursement by replacing the flawed sustainable growth rate (SGR) formula with one based on the Medical Economic Index, which measures annual practice cost increases, as has been advised by the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Paying physicians according to the actual costs associated with treating patients is necessary to maintain consistent access to providers. As broader health reform proposals are considered, the Academy also supports efforts to recognize neurologists as the principal care providers for complex neurologic conditions.
For a list of this year's attendees -- go here.
More About the Alzheimer's Reading Room
- How do Alzheimer's Caregivers Think and Feel?
- Advice and Insight -- Alzheimer's Reading Room
- The Alzheimer's Hamster Within YOU
- Dealing with Difficult Behavior Caused by Dementia and Alzheimer's
- Communicating in Alzheimer's World
- Dr Oz Alzheimer's Memory Quiz (Test)
- Test Your Memory (TYM) for Alzheimer's or Dementia in Five Minutes
- Does the Combination of Aricept and Namenda Help Slow the Rate of Decline in Alzheimer's Patients
- Alzheimer's World -- Two Circles Trying to Intersect
- Alzheimer's Disease -- The Front Row
- Is it Really Alzheimer's or Something Else?
- Alzheimer's Clock Draw Test -- Detect the Signs of Alzheimer's Early
- 60 Good Reasons to Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room
Bob DeMarco is the editor of the Alzheimer's Reading Room and an Alzheimer's caregiver. Bob has written more than 1,200 articles with more than 9,000 links on the Internet. Bob resides in Delray Beach, FL.
Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room