As children we spent all our Christmases with our maternal grandmother in Picton, which is a small town at the top of the South Island.
In later years I did wonder about the fairness of this to my paternal grandparents.
|Cook Strait connects the Tasman Sea to the Pacific Ocean.|
It can be dangerous and unpredictable.
We had to get the Ferry there which meant a 4 hour trip across Cook Strait, which can at times be a very turbulent stretch of water. Of course when we were children my memory tells me it was sunshine every day, with no wind or rain (it is Summer in New Zealand).
The fruit, plums, nectarines, peaches, apricots etc. were large and juicy and there were only two flavours of Ice Cream.
When we were small Mum and Dad used to take all our presents to Picton for us to open on Christmas Day but as we got older we would get most of our presents early so not have to take them all the way there and back.
Christmas then changes when you become a parent, the joy and fun of watching your own children, small children, opening their presents and looking in their stockings to see what Father Christmas has delivered is pretty special, then it gets to grandchildren and so we continue, to us it is a family time and I am very lucky in my family.
~ Jocelyn Delaney
Addendum from Jocelyn: This has set me to thinking of what great times we had so now I am going to write down, for my children and grandchildren, just what my childhood was like and all the things we used to do. Sometimes it is nice to look back.
Jocelyn lost her beloved husband Paul in October. She has been sharing her insight, feelings, and advice on the Alzheimer's Reading Room since early 2009.
|Subscribe to the Alzheimer's Reading Room|
- What is Alzheimer's Disease? What are the Eight Types of Dementia?
- What is the Difference Between Alzheimer’s and Dementia
- Test Your Memory for Alzheimer's (5 Best Tests)
- Problems with Balance, Walking, Falling Can Be an Early Sign of Dementia
- Majority of Adults Fear Alzheimer's Disease, Want Greater Effort to Defeat It
- Is Coconut Oil a Treatment for Alzheimer's Disease?
- Urinary Tract Infections Can Hasten Memory Loss in Alzheimer's Patients
Original content the Alzheimer's Reading Room